Training to Endure – West Maui Puu Kukui Loop
Kihei – 16,749 pop
Puu Kukui Volcano – summit 5787 feet – Puʻu Kukui is one of the wettest spots on Earth
Lahaina – 11,704 pop – Lahaina was the capital of the Kingdom of Hawaii from 1820 to 1845, when the capital was moved back to Honolulu. In the 19th century, Lahaina was the center of the global whaling industry, with many sailing ships anchoring at its waterfront; today pleasure craft make their home there. Lahaina’s Front Street has been ranked one of the “Top Ten Greatest Streets” by the American Planning Association.
Kaanapali – west airport
Kapalua – The Plantation Course at Kapalua hosts the PGA Tour’s Hyundai Tournament of Champions every January.
Kahakuloa Bay – village
Motivation to workout
Tired from work
aches and pains
not enough sleep
* working out is proven to reduce stress
* working out will help improve your sleep
How do we stay motivated and move our bodies when life is so difficult?
Don’t take life / job too seriously – find time to laugh. Leave your work at work. Stay off facebook for a few days. The world will survive even the harshest problems and very little of what stresses you out, can you change. Read a book, sit in the hot tub. Stay away from news and media. Don’t get sucked into the endless rhetoric. Focus on yourself, your friends, your family. Turn off your phone.
know that you will feel better once you’ve done your workout
* blood and oxygen circulates through your body rejuvenating it. Endorphins race to your brain lifting your spirit. Creating ideas, positivity, motivation and desire.
Learn about what you are doing
* research your sport. What do you need to do to get better at it? What are other’s doing? Engage your mind first and your body will follow.
Spend some money on it
* Committing to the activity financially is a strong motivator to follow through. This is a short term solution though
Take care / have pride in your workout space (clean it)
* Tune your bike, clean it, re-wrap the bars – investing time and energy in your equipment will reinforce the desire to use it.
* Fix up your workout dungeon, make it a fun and pleasurable place to spend time.
Wear nice clothes appropriate for the activity
* not only does this reduce the stress on your body, it is also a uniform for your sport. Wear the uniform and you will look and feel the part. This helps to focus the mind on the activity and the goal.
Shave your legs – this routine will reinforce the importance of cycling to you. Haven’t ridden in a few weeks? Shaving your legs despite the winter doldrums will keep you looking forward to the spring and keep your brain in the game.
Get a tattoo –
* chain ring tattoo
* I heart biking
* CVO / ODW
Admire your war wounds – scars (knee scar)
Create a schedule you can keep
* be realistic. How often does your schedule allow you to workout? How many sacrifices can you make to do it? Don’t demand too much time that is unrealistic, following through will be a challenge and if you fail at the follow through, chances are, you will dump the routine altogether.
reward yourself after your workout
* food / beer?
* hot bath?
keep a journal – what’s important? Weight? Power? Distance?
* log your activity. What did you do? How did it feel? How do you feel afterwards? Did you hit your goal? What is your goal?
Create a written contract with yourself – works even better with a partner – what is the penalty for failure?
Create a sustainable and achievable goal – health / beauty / empowerment / fun
Create shorter / easier goals
* walk, don’t run – you can run once you feel like running – working out is contagious
Build up to long term goals – weight loss, century ride, racing
Create a 2 week workout calendar and stick to it
create reminders around your home
* sticky notes
* workout clothes
* your bike
Do it to prove everyone wrong
Create a competition – social media / groups
Make a commitment to other people
Don’t compare yourself to others (or, to your younger self)
Create positivity (no negative self talk)
Work getting you down? Too tired to workout when you get home?
* workout before work?
* lunch break workout?
* don’t go home